Do you want to work on a civic application, but you’re not sure where to begin? You can always bring your own idea or fork an existing open source project for Houston. Here are some extra special projects that we’d love to watch take flight:
- Ushahidi Crowdmap. This mapping application, built on the open source Ushahidi platform, helps plot resources on a map during a crisis.
- RFP-EZ. Simplify the purchasing process with this lightweight bidding platform. The City is very interested in new ways to streamline procurement.
- Develop an open innovation crowdsourcing application, similar to MindMixer, where the City and community can ask questions, post challenges, and crowdsource good ideas.
- Legal visualizations of government processes. Check the Open Law Lab for inspiration.
- Plot this catalog of historic Houston photos on a map, or even just these old photos of our libraries.
- Data visualizations of any kind!
You can get started on these projects at any time. In fact, you don’t even need to attend the hackathon to participate (but if you do, be sure to check out these details about the event).